Mid Year Applications

Mid year applications can be made by using our Application Form which should be returned to the School.

John Flamsteed Community School welcomes applications for 120 places in each school year. It is anticipated that around 50% of places will be filled in next year's Year 7 with applications from children in the 'normal' catchment area, and those satisfying other criteria relating to special educational needs, children in care, and children with brothers and sisters already at the school. The remaining 50% of places are allocated by Derbyshire County Council. If there are more applications than places available, the offer of a place at the school will be made based on where you live, and your nearness to the school. To see if you live in the catchment area or check your approximate distance from the school, please click here to view the JFCS Catchment Area - showing the school's catchment map and postcodes, and distances from school.

Derbyshire County Council handles all aspects of the application process for John Flamsteed Community School. This includes application appeals and changing schools. Derbyshire County Council acts as a clearing house for admitting all Derbyshire pupils to secondary schools, and decides the rules for getting places.

A summary of information from the council's website about the application process and admission criteria is shown below.

Click here to go to the Derbyshire County Council website for further information or to apply online.

Applying for a Secondary School Place

If your child was born between 1 September 2007 and 31 August 2008 and is in their last year of primary school you should apply for their secondary school place by 31 October 2018. They will start school in September 2019.

If your child attends a school outside of Derbyshire which operates a different pattern of education and they are due to transfer secondary school phase in September 2019, you should also make an application by 31 October 2018 and this information will also apply to you. Similarly, if you wish to express a preference for your child to transfer to a 14-19 Studio School or a University Technical College (UTC) in September 2019 this information also applies to you.

The application process is quick and easy and you can also find information about how to choose a school and apply for a place in DCC’s Guide for Parents.

You'll get your offer on 1 March 2019 and if you're unhappy with the decision you can make an appeal. You can do this online and more information can be found on the secondary appeals web page.

How to Apply

From 10 September 2018 you can apply online or if you don't have access to the internet you can apply by phone from 10 September 2018 by calling the Admissions and Appeals team on 01629 537479.

If your child goes to a Derbyshire primary school, you will receive admissions information from the school some time during the week commencing 10 September 2018. DCC would prefer you to apply online - although you can still apply by phone or request a paper form if you prefer.

You only make one application and you are invited to state three preferences on it. This is the only application form you need to fill in - whether you do that by phone, online or on paper

Please note, if you apply online or by phone, your application will be acknowledged automatically. If you complete a paper form you will only receive an acknowledgement if you provide a stamped addressed envelope with your application. Parents are advised to obtain proof of posting.

If you need further information visit or call our admissions and appeals team on 01629 537479

If you wish to access independent advice or information on school admissions or appeals you can contact Coram Children's Legal Centre or call 08088 020 008.

Special Educational Needs

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs, his or her transfer is dealt with through the statement. You should contact the Special Needs Section of Derbyshire County Council.

Changing school at other times

You may want to apply for your child to change schools other than when they are due to start secondary education. This could be because of a change of address.

You can do this online at any time of year. There is added guidance in the changing schools section to help you through the process.

If you live outside of Derbyshire you should apply through your home council even if you want to apply for a place at a Derbyshire school. You can find your home council through the Directgov website.

Rules and admissions criteria

Under the 1996 Education Act, you have a legal right to express a preference for which school you want your child to attend. The county council and school governors have a general duty to meet this preference - as long as it does not "prejudice the provision of efficient education or the efficient use of resources".

In law there is no automatic right to a place in any particular school.

You will be offered one place, at the highest-priority school possible.

Where the county council cannot offer a place at any of your chosen schools, your child will be allocated a place at the normal area school - if places are still available - or the next nearest school with places available.

You should bear in mind that school admissions to Year 7 are considered on an annual basis - so it is not possible to confirm that a place is available at a school any earlier than during the year before your child will join.

Each year secondary schools have to admit eligible pupils on request up to their published admission number (as shown in the schools list) which takes account of the amount of accommodation available.

Admissions criteria

Individual pupils who have a Statement of Special Educational Needs which names the school will be admitted.

In deciding on admissions to all community and voluntary controlled secondary schools in Derbyshire, the following order of priority will be adopted:-

  1. Children in public care who are ‘looked after’ at the time an application for admission is made or who the local authority can confirm have been looked after but have ceased to be so because they are adopted, or became subject to a residence order, child arrangements order or special guardianship order, immediately following having been looked after.
  2. Children who permanently reside within the normal catchment area (as defined on our website) at the time of application and admission to the school. Places will be allocated in the first instance to children who, at the time of admission, will have a sibling attending the school in years 7-11.
  3. Children who live outside the catchment area at the time of the application and admission to secondary school. Places will be allocated in the first instance to children who, at the time of admission, will have a sibling attending the school in years 7-11.

Where, in the case of 2 or 3, choices have to be made between children satisfying the same criteria, those children living nearest to the school (measured by the nearest available route) will be given preference.

Please note, attendance at a particular primary school gives no priority for admission to a particular secondary school

Residence - in all categories

Please note the home address relates to at the time of application and admission. Where an application includes more than one address due to shared parental responsibility, parents and carers are required to submit full details to enable to determine which address to use for the purpose of admission.

Where parents state that the child resides equally at both addresses the county council will use the address where the child resides for the majority of the week ((where they usually or mainly sleep between Monday and Friday.)

Parents and carers are required to submit full details with supporting information to enable us to determine which address to use for the purpose of admission.

Where parents provide evidence that the child resides equally at both addresses during the school week, and the county council are unable to reach a decision based on the information received, parents will be asked to notify them of the mutually agreed address to be used for the purposes of school admissions. Please note the same address will be used in the assessment of eligibility for home to school transport assistance.

Where the county council have reasonable grounds for believing the home address is not the child's only or main residence they reserve the right to carry out investigations which may include visits to the property.

Important Points

There are several things it is important to remember when making your application.

Get your application in on time - via the internet, Call Derbyshire, Derbyshire primary school or post. If you miss the deadline the council will not be able to consider your application until the ones received on time have been dealt with. The deadline for applications is midnight on 31 October 2018.

Don't name the same school more than once as a preference - this will not increase your chances of a place.

The county council will withdraw a school place where false information has been used to secure an offer.

Think about listing your normal area school. You may want to consider including the normal area school as one of your preferences, though it does not have to be your first preference. If you do not include the normal area school as one of your preferences it may fill up with pupils who have said they would prefer to go to that school. This could mean the only school with available places may be further away and could mean you have to pay for transport to a distant school.

If you do not make an application you cannot assume your child will get an automatic place at your normal area school. Places will be offered first to those who have expressed a preference. If you do not make an application the council will only be able to give your child a place at your normal area school if places are still available. If your normal area school is full the council will give your child a place in the nearest school which has room. This could mean you paying transport costs to a distant school.

If the county council does not receive an application from you they may contact you to remind you.

Consider how your child will get to school when making your preferences. You are responsible for getting your child to school. If your child gets a place at a distant school, this could mean that you pay transport costs. Find out more about school transport. Please read carefully before deciding your preferences.

Only make one application by phone, online or on paper.

Late applications received after the closing date will be included only if the reason for the delay is considered exceptional and appropriate evidence has been provided. Other late applications will not be considered until after applications received by the closing date have been dealt with.

Catchment Area

Click here to download the catchment area map.

Last Updated: 24/05/2018